The church of St John the Evangelist Hanley was home to a very fine ring of 10 bells, cast by the famous Gillett and Johnston Foundry of Croydon in 1923. This was one of only 15 rings of 10 cast by this foundry. The total weight of the bells was around four tons.
The 1923 bells replaced a ring of bells which was cast by Edward Arnold of Leicester in 1790, the Tenor of which had a diameter of 48” and weighed about one ton.
The Gillett & Johnston bells were highly regarded by all those who heard or rang them, but they fell silent in 1981 when the church was made redundant. The bells then fell into disrepair.
Two of the bells, the second and fifth heaviest of the ring, were given as War Memorials to local people who fell in the Great War.